Saturday, June 30, 2012

Family Binder Takes on Family Diet! Pow Ya!!!

 This is a picture of my refrigerator after doing a MAJOR overhaul on our families diet. It contains healthy foods all purposed for each meal next week! I used the EAT Sheet below to list all the meals of each day and on the other side all the ingredients that I needed. This is kept in my family binder (see post below).  All 6 of us went to the store looking for organic, fresh ingredients for our week. We plan to do this intense planning for each week, so when I start teaching in August we have meal plans and shopping lists already completed for crazy busy weeks. We also have decided to plan the meals on the weekend and do as much shopping as possible for those meals. The crazy part is we even stayed in budget! It's amazing how much money we have spent on junk food believing that we couldn't afford the healthy fresh choices! I decided to use a box of colored pencils and color code my shopping list! I'm very proud of this idea, because I am not an organized person naturally. This was my color code idea:
Green-Vegetables and Fruit
                                                                   Yellow-Dairy items
                                                                   Orange- Spices and sauces
                                                                   Gray-Can Goods
You may be wondering why I have changed our families eating habits. My husband has been complaining for years that he would like to eat cleaner and I wanted that too but lacked whatever to make it happen. I picked up the Skinny B@%&* by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin, a week ago thinking that it would be a casual book to read before bed NOT, I couldn't put it down and stayed up half the night reading. Now I will say that the books title is a profanity (I didn't want to offend anyone by writing it) and is an appetizer to the book, but it is a serious book packed with great information. If you are up for it read it!

Let me know what you think, or if you have read this book!
Julie

2 comments:

  1. It a great idea. I'm also passing on the One Lovely Blog award to you :) There's more info about it on my blog at Toad-ally Exceptional Learners

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I am adding your Blog to my list of favorite places (: I am also continuing to learn from teacher Blogs. Wish we could count this as PD, hehehe.

      Delete